On July 7, 2020, the Decree by which the President of the Republic, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, approves the Sectorial Program for Environment and Natural Resources 2020-2024 was published through the Official Gazette of the Federation, same as entered into force on July 8 of this year.
Said program will be mandatory for the Dependencies and Entities of the Federal Public Administration. Likewise, it is established that the Ministry of Public Function (SFP) will be in charge of monitoring compliance with the obligations arising from this program, which has the following objectives:
1. Promote the conservation, protection, restoration and sustainable use of ecosystems and their biodiversity with a territorial and human rights approach, considering biocultural regions, in order to maintain functional ecosystems that are the basis for the well-being of the population.
2. Strengthen climate action in order to move towards a low-carbon economy and a resilient population, ecosystems, productive systems and strategic infrastructure, with the support of available scientific, traditional and technological knowledge.
3. Promote water as a pillar of well-being, managed by transparent, reliable, efficient and effective institutions that ensure a healthy environment and where a participatory society is involved in its management.
4. Promote an environment free from contamination of water, air and soil that contributes to the full exercise of the right to a healthy environment.
5. Strengthen environmental governance, through free, effective, meaningful and co-responsible citizen participation in public policy decisions, ensuring access to environmental justice with a territorial and human rights approach, promoting environmental education and culture.
To verify the progress of each of the five objectives, the following indicators are proposed:
With the implementation of the program in question, it is expected that by 2024, a significant impact will be achieved in terms of the recovery of the environment and a new relationship between society and nature will be generated.