Environmental Impact Assessment for Mexico City
It is the procedure through which the Environmental Authority evaluates the effects on the environment and natural resources that can be generated by carrying out development programs, works and activities within the territory of Mexico City, in order to avoid or minimize negative effects on the environment, prevent future damage to the environment and promote the sustainable use of natural resources.
Obliged subjects are those individuals or legal entities interested in carrying out works or activities that imply or may imply damage to the environment or generation of risks that require an environmental impact assessment prior to carrying them out.
The works and activities that require authorization are the following:
• Programs that in general promote changes in the use of conservation land or economic activities or provide for the use of the natural resources of the Federal District;
• Works and activities, or requests for changes in land use that, where appropriate, are intended to be carried out on conservation soils;
• Works and activities that intend to be carried out in areas of environmental value and protected natural areas within the jurisdiction of the Federal District;
• Works and activities for the extraction of stone materials, quarry, tepetate, clay, and in general any deposit; as well as its environmental regeneration and
• Works and activities that affect the vegetation and soils of surface runoff, ravines, channels, canals and bodies of water in the Federal District.
To obtain authorization regarding environmental impact, the interested parties, prior to the start of any work or activity, must submit to the Secretariat of the Environment of the Government of Mexico City, the environmental impact study in the corresponding modalities, through:
• Strategic environmental assessment;
• Specific environmental impact statement;
• Manifestation of general environmental impact; IV. Preventive report;
• Study of environmental risk;
• Declaration of environmental compliance;
However, in case of not complying with the aforementioned obligations, they may be credited with administrative sanctions, temporary or definitive closure, total or partial of the establishment, temporary suspension, cancellation or revocation of permits, licenses, certifications, registrations, concessions and / or authorizations, demolition of the works and facilities related to the conduct that gives rise to the imposition of the sanction and repair of the environmental damage.
By virtue of the foregoing, it is recommended that, in case you are interested in carrying out works or activities that imply or may imply damage to the environment, you take legal advice, for which the BRIFFAULT ABOGADOS, SC team is put to its orders to provide appropriate and timely advice in relation to all relevant acts, as well as the contentious area to develop means of defense against any act of abuse by the competent authorities in environmental matters.